I continue to be amazed at how a painting gets solved. A couple months ago I bragged that the painting "Pond" had been solved. I believed "Pond" would be finished through slow and laborious completion of its details. I was wrong. It required a major change. That change has occurred. The newest version of this painting is posted today. It all happened on the right side of the painting. There is new fish and a standing man. The new guy obviously requires more input. After the paint dries I will have more control over the surface. Then his necessary details can be solved.
The lesson is important. I got to a spot where the making of "Pond" felt like labor. This was a clue that something was not right with the quality of its expression. Intuitively I slowed down, changing details, but making no large alterations. This was right, although I did not comprehend why it felt like a forced task to work on the painting. I did not know my shift to a slow, and seemingly laborious, method of attack, was more due to my emotional discomfort than to my dislike of detail work. I slowed my painting on "Pond" because it did not have the expressive capacity to drive me forward to its completion. Now it does, and this painting is pulling me in because I feel its completion is a necessity. I don't have to worry about calling up my task master. I have an emotional, and genuine, need to finish this painting.
To read my profile go to MEHRBACH.com.
At MEHRBACH.com you may view many of my paintings and drawings, past and present, and see details about my life and work.